Welcome to the Colorado Rocky Mountain Chapter of SWANA,
the Solid Waste Association of North America.
To advance the practice of environmentally and economically sound
municipal solid waste management.
SWANA is the oldest, largest and most well-respected professional
organization in the solid waste field. The association represents
some 7,000 solid waste professionals nationwide.
Take a moment to look around and check out our newsletter to see
what is happening here at the Colorado Chapter. You can also
click on the SWANA Logo to reach SWANA's National Home page. Enjoy!
Please note that the date for this year's Truck Road-E-O has changed to Saturday, June 22nd. The new registration deadline is June 5.
Are you working on an exciting project or program that you would like to share with other professionals in your industry? We'll here is your opportunity!
Colorado SWANA is actively seeking presentation proposals for the Chapter's 2013 Annual Conference taking place in Estes Park on October 3rd and 4th. Presenters will receive FREE registration for the entire two-day conference.
Topics for presentations might include:
- Compliance Issues
- Landfill Management
- Operations Strategies
- Regulatory Developments
- Recycling and Composting
- Education Programs
- Conversion Technology
- Greenhouse Gas Reporting
- and/or other solid waste related subjects.
For more information and to submit a presentation proposal, please review, complete and return the attached presentation form by June 14, 2013.
START YOUR ENGINES! The 2013 Colorado SWANA Truck and Mechanics Road-E-O will be held on Saturday, June 22nd at Wagner Equipment Company's Aurora site. New this year will be the Landfill Equipment Operators Skills competition and the addition of tractor-trailers to the obstacle course. The Road-E-O planning committee is meeting regularly to work out all the details for this year's event and announcements on when registration opens will be made shortly. If you or someone would like to join the planning committee, please contact Ken Arguello.
Pulling off a successful Road-E-O requires the support and hard work of many individuals and organizations. The planning committee will be reaching out to sponsors to help support this exciting event and volunteer call-outs will be made soon. Let's have the best Road-E-O ever!
Presentations from the Feb 20th Technical Session are now avaialble.
Colorado Rocky Mountain SWANA is hosting a technical session on electronics recycling on February 20, 2013 from 9 am - 2 pm to discuss the current regulations for electronic waste diversion impacts on haulers, transfer stations, and landfills; education outreach; options for collecting and handling electronic waste whether by community events or year around efforts; and how to contract for services to reduce potential liability.
Grand Valley Sponsors (Platinum Level)
- Aquaterra Environmental
- Inter-Mountain Construction Equipment/DoppstadtUS
- Larimer County
Rim Rock Sponsors (Gold Level)
- American Environmental Consulting, LLC
- AquAeTer, Inc.
- Colorado Lining International, Inc.
- Environmental Products Inc. (EPI)
- Geotech Environmental
- Golder and Associates
- Kaul Corporation/GSE Environmental
- McCanless Truck Center
- Mesa County Solid Waste Management
- Neptune Automated Wheel Wash Systems
- Ted D. Miller Associates, Inc.
- Vista GeoScience
- Waste Management
- Weaver Boos Consultants
Winners from the 2012 Colorado SWANA Truck Driving and Mechanics Road-E-O.
Richard Trinidad – Grand Champion (Driving)
- Driving – Richard Trinidad, City & County of Denver
- Mechanics – Donnie Cruz, City & County of Denver
Individual Category Winners
- 1st Place - Donnie Cruz, City & County of Denver
- 2nd Place - Luck Wells, Alpine Waste & Recycling
- 3rd Place - Tom Phillips, City & County of Denver
- Front Loader Driving:
- 1st Place - Larry Bettale, City & County of Denver
- 2nd Place - Gary Smith, Alpine Waste & Recycling
- 3rd Place - Nicholas Mayorga, Alpine Waste & Recycling
- Rear Loader Driving:
- 1st Place - Richard Trinidad, City & County of Denver
- 2nd Place - Andrew Stewart, City of Loveland
- 3rd Place - Anthony Robb, Bestway Disposal
- Side Loader Driving:
- 1st Place - David Clark, City of Thornton
- 2nd Place - Adrian Nevarez, City of Thornton
- 3rd Place - Matt Strom, City of Loveland
- Roll-off Driving:
- 1st Place - Raymond Jones, Waste Connections
- 2nc Place - Mark Wilson, Alpine Waste & Recycling
- 3rd Place - Gary Pollak, City of Loveland
This year Colorado SWANA is pleased to SWANA Certified Training Classes for both MOLO-Landfill Operations Certification and Composting Programs Certification. Classes will be held at concurrently at the same training location.
Training classes and certification testing will take place in Grand Junction, Colorado at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel from September 24-27, 2012.
Registration is now open for the Annual Conference.
Colorado SWANA is pleased to announce that the 2012 Annual Conference will be held in Grand Junction, Colorado. Conference activities will take place at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Grand Junction.
Activities already in place for this year's Annual Conference will include:
- Thursday, September 27th:
- Technical sessions in the morning and afternoon
- Landfill tour
- Annual Banquet
- Friday, September 28th:
- Technical sessions in the morning and afternoon
More information will be posted as soon as it is available.